Monday, March 28, 2011

Studying Asia and Other Things

Tommy is studying Asia in his Honors Geography class.  Last night, he asked me to get out of bed because he just remembered he had a presentation on South Korea to give Monday morning.  He had his Power Point slideshow already prepared and just needed to practice.   I thought he did very well.  Anyway, he had me go over the guidelines for his project.  I thought this was different.  His teacher gave a list of requirements needed for this assignment.  I went over all requirements and checked them off because his slideshow included every element required.  The last paragraph I read on his checksheet stated, "If you complete all of these requirements, you will have earned a C."    The teacher goes on to say that if they wanted to earn a B or A, then they must provide additional information.  Huh?!!  Tommy included two additional slides to his presentation, but I have no idea if it will earn him an A and neither does he.  Oh well.  I thought that was strange.  I've never heard of a teacher instructing her students on all requirements needed for a "C".   

The very bottom of his checksheet said (optional) they could bring food on the day of their presentation or a souvenir or artifact.  An interesting fact:   Tommy included three major industrialized cities in his presentation.  All three of them his Dad has been to.  Cool huh?   Tom brought me back a tea set from Japan and South Korea when he visited.  We were living in Hawaii at the time.  I could tell Tommy wanted to bring one of the tea cups or something with him.  I pulled them out and had him look at them.  He was quite impressed.  (I must admit, I have a pretty cool tea set collection.)   I told him I didn't think I could send anything with him since it may break...and then he noticed the newspaper they were wrapped in.   Oh happy day!!   He ended up taking the newspaper to school to share with his class. 

Here's a picture of the newspaper.



Here are a couple of pictures of my tea pots.  One is from Japan and the other is from South Korea.   I'm very sad though because I can't find the sugar and creamer that belongs to one set.  It's not in the box and I can't even remember if it came with it or not.  I just don't recall and neither does Tom.


2 comments:

  1. Gosh! your tea set is so beautiful. You have to be careful as they are so fragile. Quite a few of my Japanese dishes were broken in shipment,
    and I went to a lot of stores to see if I could replace just the ones that broke, but they just don't carry that particular China.I felt so heartbroken as this set ( service for 16) are gone forever. Tommy is very good in things he does, so he will have a great time showing the paper. Good work Tommy. Love Grams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Grams! I think Tommy's presentation went well. Still waiting to hear on his grade. Sorry to hear about your dishes too. Yes, I've had some things break in shipment/moving and it is so frustrating. I have had Polish pottery that we bought in England break too. I still have no idea where those two additional pieces to the one South Korean tea set went to. Maybe they were packed in a separate box. We still have unpacked boxes in the basement. :)

    ReplyDelete