Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Change in Perspective

A great article on Lent.   The writer really hit on the reason I needed to give up "two" things for Lent this year.   I didn't feel like I was sacrificing enough to change my perspective if I only gave up Facebook.  So, I added soda as well.  


http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/03/my-take-why-i-observe-lent/?hpt=C1

A change of pace, a change of place and hopefully a change in perspective...

Tommy gave up chocolate for Lent.  The first day back to school I completely forgot and packed him a Ding Dong for lunch.  Ugh.  Now, I rarely buy Hostess Ding Dongs or cupcakes but they were on sale.  So, I picked up a couple boxes.  Poor kid.   He remembered he gave up chocolate and gave the ding dong to a friend.  You don't realize how much food actually has chocolate in it.  Another day, I (as usual) packed him a granola bar.  Guess what?   Yep, chocolate in it.  He didn't eat it and I went out the same night and bought him his next favorite snack bar...Nature Valley Oats N Honey cereal bars.  Yes, I know.  I am a lame mother, but I try.  (That's a blog post for another day.)  

He loves hot chocolate.   Guess what?  Yep, no more nightly hot chocolate with his homework.  He's started drinking a half cup of coffee with lots of creamer.  (Yep, he's my son.)  LOL

I'm sharing this because even though his mom has made many mistakes and tempted him with chocolate, he's been very persistent and determined.  I think Easter is going to be much more meaningful this year for Tommy.  He's given up something and it has not been easy.

Random stuff:  Tommy can type 50 wpm. 
One year I gave up music for Lent.  I think I was 14 or 15 years old.  My Grandma gave me two albums for Easter.  It was Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and Donna Summers "Bad Girls" album.  I had to look up the name of Donna Summers' album on google because all I can remember is the song "Hot Stuff" on that album.

No comments:

Post a Comment